What is TorrentRover?
TorrentRover is a torrent downloader and search manager that helps you download your favorite music, movies, TV shows, applications, and more. In short, you can search, manage, and download torrent files right from your desktop.
TorrentRover has many unique features that make it superior to the average torrent site and other desktop search apps.
- It’s Free!
- Clean and Simple user interface
- Fast searches
- Simple results list (manage site results in one list sorted any way you want)
- Detailed information on torrents (files, trackers, user comments)
- Helpful plugins (Imdb, Wikipedia, Google, eBay, Amazon, MetaCritic, etc.)
- Proxy server to protect your search privacy
- Automated downloading
- Portable version available
- ZERO ads, spyware, viruses, or other malware
How Does it Work?
When you start TorrentRover for the first time, you will see the Quick Start video. You should watch it. It’ll introduce you to all the basic features and get you started off right.
Here’s the Quick Start video:
The user interface of TorrentRover is very simple, even for beginners. Just follow these simple steps to find the torrent files you are looking for:
- Search torrent files by typing your search in the textbox on the upper right hand side of the main window.
- Select a category from the drop down list next to the search box. Any/All will search all categories.
- Press “Go” or hit the Enter key.
- Results will be displayed in the lower panel of the window.
- Double click on a result to download the torrent file.
If you’re not sure which result to download, TorrentRover assigns points to each result based on how good it is. More points = better torrent. You can also view details for any torrent by right clicking it and selecting “View Torrent(s) Details”. You’ll be able to see the category, age, size, files, trackers, and user comments.
Now that you understand the most basic purpose and use for TorrentRover, let’s take a look at the rest of the main user interface window:
Main menu (top of main window)
- File: The file menu contains options to create a new TorrentRover file, open an existing TorrentRover file, open and merge TorrentRover file(s) with the current file, save a TorrentRover file, and export a TorrentRover file, which is similar to save but also has options to clean up the file to make it better for sharing with someone.
- View: The view menu contains options for Simple View and Advanced View. Simple View shows Rovers as a list of bubbles. Advanced View shows Rovers in much greater detail. It also contains options to show/hide the status bar and show/hide the sidebar. And there are several ways to resize the app, the entire app or just the buttons.
- Rover: The Rover menu contains options to Add (create), Edit, Delete, Queue (start), Stop, and move Rovers up or down. The Search menu is only active when you run an advanced rover type (weekly or daily Rover). We’ll get into that more later on.
- Torrent: The Torrent menu contains options to refresh search results, get more search results, download a torrent, view torrent details, or ban/unban a torrent result.
- Plugins: The Plugins menu contains options to search the web’s top sites for more information on what you’re looking for (sites like Wikipedia, Imdb, Last.fm, MetaCritic, YouTube, Google, etc.).
- Tools: The Tools menu contains options to show Usage Statistics, Event Viewer, or Preferences.
- Help: The Help menu contains options to get help or give feedback, learn more about the software, Check for App Updates, Check for Definition Updates, Report a Bug, Request a Feature, and view basic app info.
Top Toolbar (just below menu)
- Add Rover: This button opens the Add Rover window. This should be used for more specific/advanced searches.
- Edit Rover: This button opens the Edit Rover window.
- Delete Rover: This button deletes the selected Rover(s).
- Start Rover: This button starts the automatic search refreshes and automation features.
- Stop Rover: This button stops the automatic search refreshes and automation features.
- Move Rover Up (only in Advanced View): This button moves Rover(s) up in Rank (# column).
- Move Rover Down (only in Advanced View): This button moves Rover(s) down in Rank (# column).
Quick Search Area (top right corner)
- Quick Search Box: This box is where you enter your search term(s).
- Category Selector: This allows you to limit the results by category.
- Go Button: This button allows you to start the search, but you can also just press the Enter key when focus is on the Quick Search Box or Category Selector.
Rovers List (just below top toolbar)
- This is where the Rovers are stored.
Center Toolbar (just below Rovers List)
- Refresh Results: This button runs the search again and updates the results.
- Get More Results: This button gets the next group of results. The drop down next to the button gives the option of how many “pages” of results to pull at a time.
- Download Torrent: This button downloads the selected torrent result(s).
- Torrent Details: This button opens the Torrent Details window.
- Ban/Unban Torrent: This button bans or unbans the selected torrent(s). This can be very useful for advanced searches using automation.
Torrent Results List (just below Center Toolbar)
- This is where the torrent results are displayed.
Status Bar (bottom of window)
- Status: Displays latest status message of the app.
- Social Buttons: Button links to TorrentRover social pages.
- Donate Button: Button to get to TorrentRover donation page.
TorrentRover is currently available to download here.